Michigan Works Oak Park strives to ensure that all Veterans and Transitioning Service Members have access to the tools needed to find good jobs with good wages and career pathways.
Training opportunities including, on-the-job training and apprenticeships are available for eligible veterans.
Priority of Service
Michigan Works! Oak Park provides priority of service to all veterans and eligible spouses who receive services under any qualified job training program funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Michigan Works! Oak Park will ensure that covered persons are made aware of:
- Their entitlement to Priority of Service;
- The full array of employment, training, and placement services; and
- Any applicable eligibility requirements for those programs and/or services and to ensure the right of eligible covered persons to take precedence over eligible non-covered persons in obtaining services.
Gold Card Program for Post 9/11 Veterans
- The Gold Card initiative is a joint effort of the Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS). This program is designed to provide unemployed post-9/11 veterans with assistance in getting them back into the labor market as quickly as possible.
- An eligible veteran can present the Gold Card at their local One-Stop Career Center to receive intensive services including up to six months of follow-up. The Gold Card services will include a combination of intensive services, including skills assessment, career coaching, and job search assistance over a six-month period to jump-start the veterans’ job search process and reconnect them to the civilian labor force in high-demand sectors. These services can help veterans identify transferable skills, career goals and job search strategies. Veterans will be able to access services in-person and on-line. Information about this initiative can be found on the DOL website and veterans will be able to print a Gold Card.
Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP) Specialist
DVOP specialists provide intensive employment assistance to eligible Veterans who have special employment and training needs, in order to assist them to overcome barriers that prevent them from obtaining meaningful employment. DVOP specialists apply a case management approach and access a broad network of providers and resources for eligible Veterans to achieve their employment goals.